Choose to sponsor a specific area within the community school and be fully knowledgeable of the where your money is spent. Take the opportunity to sponsor an area directly relating to your area of business or a particular area with which you feel most close.
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY opportunities - The school teaches ICT lessons on PC's and laptops, including access to various computer program, multi-medias and the World Wide Web. We enable local teachers to find and print resources for their lessons. Monies are needed for the purchase, operation and maintenance of the computers, printer and laptops for public use. We need constant paper and ink supply and mobile credit to connect via 3G to the internet.
In today's age it is not possible to be fully empowered with current knowledge and understanding without access to the WWW and to take advantage of business and job markets, computer literacy is necessary.
- LIBRARY stock- The school provides the local community access to various books to peruse or take on personal loan, and many are used daily within the lessons taught at the school, including bi-lingual Portuguese and English, english language texts, teaching resource books, fiction and non-fiction selection. Monies are used to supply books (we ship in donated items from the UK and drive to collect from Rotary stations), to make book shelves and for seating purchases.
Our greatest moments of insight, imagination, motivation, excitement and learning are from books.
- Salaries for LOCAL EMPLOYMENT- The school currently employs a local teacher and a night guard, whilst offering training and access to al the school's resources, as well as a competative salary. We need monies to cover these salaries and employ an administrator, cleaner, gardener and teaching assistant. Jobs are far and few in Inhasssune, many families living on less than a £1 a day, SWMH's employment helps not just those employed but many more in the village with the rolling effect of their salary.
- Equipment and tools for VEGETABLE GARDEN - The school has a vegetable patch which is used to provide food on a weekly, sometime daily basis for those in greatest need in the village. We work with local volunteers in the garden to provide necessary training and knowledge so they can be self sufficient. Monies are needed for seeds, fertiliser, clean pesticide, fencing and tools to grow our vegetables.
In today's unsustainable consumerism it is necessary to think ahead and be self-sufficient providing healthy and chemical free food and beverages. Inhassune is dependant on growing its' own crops as it is far from the main road and supply areas in Mozambique.
- General purchases and running costs of NURSERY and PRE-SCHOOL - The school offers education to 4-6year olds 5 days a week, 2 daily sessions. We follow an UK Early Years curriculum and provide invaluable resources and play equipment to further develop the whole child. Monies will buy us art materials, paper, more tables and chairs, PE equipment, stationary and writing books.
Mozambique provides no pre-schooling and only begins primary teaching at the age of 6 years. It has been positively researched that those who are given educational opportunities at a young age achieve more in their adult years than those who are not and generally do better throughout their education with the solid foundation early years teaching gives.
- Provision of electrical POWER SUPPLY - The village has no municiple power although it is planned for the near future. The school provides power via 2 solar panels, batteries and invertor. it is not very strong and can only power one electrical item at a time. We would like to run more than one computer and use our projector more often, without borrowing a generator. we need monies for our own generator and fuel supply and even once power comes to the village will need monies for the payment of bills.
We can take electrical powerr for granted in the UK, imagine trying to provide a solid education for all without a good power source?
- Costs for VOLUNTEERS accommodation and travel to the project. - The school provides a comfortable self contained place for international volunteers to sleep, eat and relax and transport from the nearest airport or bus station to the project.
The more volunteers offering their time, skills, knowledge and understanding means more local people empowered with education. More volunteers means more income into the local community. A happy teacher is a happy student.
- Costs to provide new HOUSING - The school has built new homes for some people living in a dire state, with the help and guidance of local people. We often use youngsters as assistants so they can gain skills and knowledge for their own futures. Monies are required for the building materials we buy locally, thus providing more income into the village.
Although some people were built new canico homes after the civil war in early 1990, most people remain those houses, which are buildings those in the west would not even consider for their pets! They cannot with stand the rain or wind and are often flooded or filled with malaria mosquitoes.
- Cost of BUILDING another community school - Purchase of sustainable materials, electricity supply and installation, including a solar powered electrical system. Ablution facilities.
There are many areas in mozambique which need community educational support, we have already been given some land by the local government, in the district capital of Panda to build another community school, which they have requested based on their popular opinion of our existing school.
- Cost of resources and fuel to do outreach RELIGIOUS STUDIES - The school provides bible players in the local language to the community. They are able to listen and discuss with their fellow neighbours and teacherwhich can provide some guidance and focus in their tough daily lives. We send them to the far villages of our area to people who have little access to this spiritual knowledge as they cannot read. (We would happily share audio resources of other religions too to give them a broader insight into religion and it's benefits.)
- Most people living well below the international poverty line in Mozambique have no hope for their future and see very little positives in their life or death, religious and spiritual experiences can provide the much needed hope that is missing and build community relationships which enable support for one another.
- Set up and development of new BUSINESS - The school runs a business session where locals can come for assistant with their existing businesses, or for help developing a new one. Monies will provide equipment to start businesses and for resources for the lessons offering skills and knowledge needed for the success of their careers in business. We currently want to help a young lad start a butchery, of which their are none within many miles of the village and a young lady begin a beauty salon providing manicures and pedicures to her customers.
- With little or no decent education young and middle aged adults have little encouragement or knowledge of how to set themselves up financially and begin a business. But as Mozambique is steadily on the rise, there are plenty of opportunity to start new enterprises and add positively to the economy. It is also difficult for those with skills to begin as banks do not as yet provide loans or business funds.